You must have a hard copy receipt for every single dollar you contribute to a church or charity in order to claim a tax deduction on Schedule A.  Charitable contribution deductions will not be allowed for any monetary contributions by cash or check unless the donor maintains a record of the contribution.  The record must be in the form of:

  • an actual cancelled check
  • a bank record (i.e. a copy of the front of the check included on your monthly bank statement)
  • an entry on a bank or credit card statement indicating a credit or debit card charge
  • a written communication from the donee showing the name of the donee organization, the date of the contribution, and the amount of the contribution.