Employers must provide W-2s by January 31st so I would imagine most of you have received them by now.  There are a few things you should do when you receive these forms to be sure there are no problems.

  • Check the amounts against your records to make sure the reported items are correct.  You do this by using your final pay stub of the year and compare the gross state and federal wages; local, state and federal income tax withheld and the Medicare and Social Security taxes withheld. 
  • Check to make sure your social security number on the W-2 is correct.
  • If you find an error – contact the employer right away so they can issue you a corrected W-2c (as well as the Social Security Administration).
  • If you do not receive your W-2 and you can not get in touch with employer because they have went out of business or disappeared, you should just use your pay stubs or other records from that job and file a Form 4852 (the “Substitute for Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement” with your tax returns.